A Brief History of St. John the Baptist Infant Girls’ School
The earliest records available tell us that Clontarf Girls and Boys National Schools operated from a building in Vernon Ave from 1901 to 1940 when all pupils transferred to Belgrove House on Seafield Rd. West. This house called St. John's house served as both school and parish hall, presently accommodates Clontarf GAA and creche.
The title of the schools then officially changed to St. John the Baptist National Schools. This name never really became popular and the schools have been affectionately known as Belgrove schools ever since.
By 1956 Belgrove was catering for 700 boys and 600 girls! Belgrove House could no longer cope with such huge numbers as teachers were holding classes in corridors, sharing rooms, in makeshift huts all over the grounds.
In January 1964, both schools divided into two, making a total of four schools with four principal teachers. The girls remained in Belgrove house until the new schools opened in 1971. It was with great pride that the transition was made from the old schools to the new and Mrs. McCarthy was appointed Principal of the nine-teacher Infant Girls' School. Mrs. Hughes was in charge from 1974 and implemented the introduction of the New Curriculum. Mrs. McHugh was appointed Principal in 1978.
Mrs. Mary Kenny was appointed Principal in 1999.
Mrs. Patricia O’Donoghue became principal in 2007 .
Mrs. Dearbhla O'Driscoll was appointed principal in 2018.